In this course participants will gain understanding of the unique aspects of anaesthesia in domestic species presented in large animal veterinary practice.
They will apply their fundamental knowledge and skills in anaesthesia to devise anaesthetic protocols by taking into consideration the risks associated with anaesthesia and the unique responses to anaesthesia, and to be able to respond to common peri-anaesthetic complications. The majority of the course is dedicated to equine anaesthesia but includes anaesthesia and anaesthetic techniques for ruminants.
Prerequisite: participants are assumed to have spent at least 2 years in clinical practice and have a sound knowledge of foundational principles in small animal anaesthesia, such as those covered in the ‘Anaesthesia & Analgesia: Fundamentals’ course.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Assess anaesthetic risk factors specific to large animal species
- Develop sedation/anesthetic and analgesia protocols specific for large animal species
- Equine anaesthesia
- Ruminant anaesthesia
This online course comes with:
- comprehensive digital notes, images, videos and journal articles
- Self-assessed quizzes to test your knowledge and understanding
- A discussion forum for conversation, debate and sharing cases with your peers and tutor
- Assignments based on case studies and practice enhancers. Individual feedback and explanations will be provided by your tutor
- A virtual Q&A session with your tutors
What is Distance Education?
Premium, intensive online veterinary CE
All CVE Distance Education (DE) programs are mentored by leading veterinary experts who will provide individual feedback and advice on completion of the modules. Each module may include written content, technique videos, self-reflections, quizzes and online submission of assignments.
Maximise the opportunity to expand and consolidate your learning by participating in the tutor moderated group discussion forum.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
Assumed knowledge: It is expected that participants in this course are already competent at the following learning objectives in small animal anaesthesia which were covered in Anaesthesia & Analgesia Course 1 - Fundamentals:
- Devise a protocol, appropriate for your practice, for systematic preanaesthetic preparation aimed at minimising risk and optimising safety of anaesthesia
- Inform on inhalation anaesthesia equipment including on use, maintenance, testing, and patient appropriate setting up
- Rationalise the importance of perianesthetic monitoring including the choice of methods of monitoring based on understanding of respective advantages, disadvantages and limitations.
- Competently and confidently manage common peri-anaesthetic complications through application of a systematic approach
- Apply sound understanding of the pharmacology of drugs commonly used for sedation/pre-anaesthetic medication, induction and maintenance of anaesthesia.
- Rationalise the use of analgesics for pre-emptive analgesia, multimodal analgesia, and balanced anaesthesia.
- Integrate analgesia into the anaesthetic protocols for the surgical patient.
| Course fees
|eMember / Non-member
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more (or all 3 Diagnostic Imaging, Dermatology or Anaesthesia & Analgesia) Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email [email protected] or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).