Behaviour problem or problem behaviour? Learn to differentiate and maximise treatment success.
Improve your ability to help your clients better understand their pets’ behaviour and learn to best manage anxiety, aggression and other common behavioural problems. Discover the latest updates in behavioural pharmacology – the when, why, how and which of psychotropic medications.
A knowledge of behaviour is integral in maximising patient welfare. A positive experience in your practice for both patient and client will enhance satisfaction for pet, vet and the owner!
'This course provided a supportive, open environment to learn from the best in the field. Truely inspirational and incredibly challenging.'
Caitlin McQuarrie, 2022 Participant
'Behavioral Medicine was challenging and thought-provoking. It changed my approach to consultations very early in the course, and this has continued to evolve. I have been practicing for more than 20 years, so it is great to improve this important skill. I am a better veterinarian because of this course.'
Caroline McCarthy, 2021 Participant
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Significantly improve your ability to help your clients better understand their pet’s behaviour
- Further your understanding of the basics of behaviour and the intimate relationship between behaviour and organic disease
- Develop your skills in differentiating behaviour problems from problem behaviours to maximise treatment success
- Learn how to more accurately diagnose behavioural problems in most domestic species
- Improve your knowledge of psychotropic medication used to treat behavioural problems, including when to use medication, which medication to use and why
- Interact with other veterinarians who have similar interests in behavioural medicine
- Domestication and Genetics – understand what processes are involved in the behaviour of animals
- Learning Theory 1 – appreciate the science behind how animals learn
- Learning Theory 2 – apply the science every day in your interactions with animals
- Neurology – discover more about the brain and behaviour and what makes animals tick
- Psychotropic Medication 1 – learn about the common medications that help animals with mental health issues
- Psychotropic Medication 2 – find out more about how medication can help your patients
- Behavioural History – become more comfortable with diagnosing and implementing a treatment program for your patients
- Anxiety Disorders – learn why they are so debilitating and affect the life expectancy of your patients
- Aggression Issues – gain knowledge to safely and appropriately manage patients showing aggressive behaviours
- Other common problems – increase your ability to deal with an assortment of behaviours that bother owners
This online course comes with:
- Comprehensive digital notes; images; journal articles and additional readings
- Self-reflection tasks to review your current knowledge and focus on the topic at hand
- A discussion forum and regular webinars for conversation, debate and sharing cases with your peers and tutors
- A monthly assignment to assess your understanding of each topic. Individual feedback and explanations will be provided by your tutors
- A monthly webinar to compliment modules and update your knowledge
- A 1-day workshop at the start of the course and a 3-day practical workshop towards the end of the course to work through case studies and major problems areas as a group
3-Day Workshop (Melbourne Date TBA)
1-Day Workshop (Sydney Date TBA)
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
Veterinary nurses with a special interest in the topic are welcome to enrol in this course. Please be aware that the course is designed for qualified veterinarians and you should consider this in light of your knowledge and experience before you register.
||Member* Super Early Bird
||Member* Early Bird
||Member* Full Rate
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more (or all 3 Diagnostic Imaging, Dermatology or Anaesthesia & Analgesia) Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email [email protected] or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).