Guinea pigs are a common and much-loved pet around the world. Although much of the earlier veterinary focus on guinea pigs was as a laboratory animal, their popularity as pets has seen this focus shift towards the provision of veterinary care for a companion pet.
This course aims to provide veterinary practitioners, many of whom were not taught much about guinea pigs while at university, the fundamentals of guinea pig anatomy and physiology, investigating and treating the sick guinea pig and performing surgical procedures under anaesthesia.
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- Have a good understanding of the structure and function of guinea pigs as it relates to clinical conditions
- Be able to perform a diagnostic investigation
- Be able to provide appropriate hospital care and home care for a guinea pig
- Have a good understanding of common conditions and be able to diagnose and treat them
- Be able to safely anaesthetise a guinea pig
- Be able to perform basic surgical procedures
- Structure and function; nutrition; husbandry; behaviour; the physical examination; diagnostic testing; hospital care
- Dermatology; dental disease; musculoskeletal disease; gastrointestinal disease; hypovitaminosis C
- Reproductive disease; gastrointestinal disease; respiratory disease; cardiovascular disease; urinary disease, miscellaneous disease
- Analgesia, anaesthesia, and surgery
What is a TimeOnline?
Flexible and accessible online CPD
TimeOnline is quality online education delivered by veterinary experts in short, manageable timeframes.
Build in-demand skills in key clinical areas. Engage with your tutor/s and other participants through an active discussion forum. The programs are further enhanced by concise core notes, video presentations, case studies, images, useful links and interactive quizzes to test your knowledge and round out the program. Earn 10-20 CPD points with completion of each TimeOnline course.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians. Student members are also welcome to enrol.
Veterinary nurses/technicians with a special interest in the topic are also welcome to enrol in this course. Please be aware that the course is designed for qualified veterinarians and you should consider this in light of your knowledge and experience before you register.
|Recent Graduate / Part-time Professional Member
|eMember / Non-Member
*Members include: Practice, Professional and Academic members.