Develop a logical, problem-based approach to infectious skin cases.
Skin problems are among the most common reasons for presentation in everyday practice. The CVE Dermatology Distance Education program is a modular course that aims to provide you with the practical skills necessary to work-up and resolve these often recurrent cases with minimal frustration for both owner and clinician.
The Infectious Skin Diseases course has a broad content list, ranging from bacterial infections and mycoses to ectoparasites not typically associated with pruritus (such as demodicosis). It also covers all aspects of otitis externa and media including pathophysiology, diagnostics, medical management and surgical interventions. Professor Mueller is regarded as one of the world’s leaders in both demodicosis and otitis and leads this course.
The introductory module will cover the general approach to a dermatology patient. It also features practical work with microscopy and skin biopsy sampling conducted on-line and covers the key steps in the approach to nodules.
While much of the emphasis is on developing a logical approach to case management, this course reviews the latest information available on a wide range of conditions and presents the latest evidence-based treatment options available. Ultimately, having more confidence in your abilities to manage skin patients will lead to higher job satisfaction and improve patient outcomes.
Listen to tutor Ralf Mueller tell you more about the course:
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- Apply a logical, problem-based approach to infectious skin cases
- Recognise infections associated with a range of clinical presentations such as alopecia, papules and nodules with draining tracts
- Judge the practicality, advantages and disadvantages of in-house testing with respect to the various infections
- Select the best treatment for your clients and patients, evidence-based and practically oriented for a range of infectious cases
- Develop an awareness of the ‘one health’ concept with the most up-to-date approach to zoonotic diseases
- Manage otitis externa from simple one-time cases to chronic recurrent cases
- Know which medical treatment is indicated for otitis and when surgery is the client's best choice
- Introductory module**
- Bacterial Skin Infections - understand their relevance as pathogens and complicating factors in chronic skin disease and the change in treatment options considering antibacterial stewardship
- Mycoses - select the most appropriate test and choose treatment options based on their zoonotic potential and scientific evidence
- Demodicosis - predisposing factors, various treatment options and long-term prognosis
- Otitis externa - know when simple symptomatic therapy is indicated, when a search for underlying disease is needed, and the predisposing and complicating factors requiring consideration for long-term success. The art of ear flushes with or without video-otoscopy will be extensively covered.
This distance education course is delivered over 4 months. The introductory module is delivered during the first month and the remaining four modules are delivered over the next 3 months.
**Introductory Module only needs to be completed once. If you completed this module as part of the Dermatology: Pruritic Skin Disease Distance Education course you don't need to do it again..
This distance education course includes two face-to-face didactic workshops held in Sydney. Dates to be confirmed.
- 1-day workshop forming part of the introductory module (if not completed previously)
- 1-day workshop forming part of the Infectious Skin Disease DE Course
*Note: if travel restrictions impact on workshops running as face-to-face events, arrangements will be made for an online alternative.
Our year-long Dermatology Distance Education program has been broken down into 3 manageable and independent parts: Pruritic Skin Disease, Infectious Skin Disease and Advanced Dermatology.
Each is a discrete course on its own but together they form a formidable dermatology educational program. Each course has an interactive workshop – a major drawcard – where you have the opportunity to apply the theory you have learnt under the watchful eye of your tutor. You also benefit from the group experience of learning with, and from, your peers.
The introductory dermatology module is a prerequisite for Pruritic and Infectious Skin Disease DE courses while you must complete either Pruritic or Infectious Skin Disease DE course to enrol in the Advanced Dermatology DE course.
2021 Advanced Dermatology Distance Education
- 1 September - 30 November 2021
2022 Dermatology: Pruritic Skin Disease Distance Education
- 1 February - 31 May 2022
What is Distance Education?
Premium, intensive online veterinary CPD
All CVE Distance Education (DE) programs are mentored by leading veterinary experts who will provide individual feedback and advice on completion of each monthly module. Each module may include written content, technique videos, self-reflections, quizzes and online submission of monthly assignments.
Maximise the opportunity to expand and consolidate your learning by participating in the tutor moderated group discussion forum and attending the two optional 1-day interactive workshops, with an emphasis on working through case studies and group discussion.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
Pay as you learn
Choosing your DE course is a big commitment, so there’s no need to add further stress by paying your course up front. To pay as you learn, you will need a AU$1,000 deposit to secure your place, followed by 50% of the total course fee 10 days prior to course commencement date. We’ll arrange simple monthly direct debits from your credit card over 3 or 6 months.
Note: Payment Plan will incur an additional AU$250 administration fee, and Early Bird rates do not apply if you choose the payment plan option.
||Super Early Bird
|Infectious Skin Disease DE course (excl. Intro module)
|Infectious Skin Disease DE course (incl. Intro module)
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount options for multiple registrations at the one event, please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email [email protected] or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).
**Introductory Dermatology Module only needs to be completed once. If you enrol in other Dermatology DE courses you will not be required to complete this Introductory module again.