This course will look at what is needed to operate a successful dentistry unit. As well as practical oral anatomy knowledge, dental nomenclature and dental equipment and instrumentation, the course covers how to take a whole mouth series of dental radiographs.
An important focus is the management of the most common disease in dogs: periodontal disease - from the consulting room to the surgery and then back to the home including treatment, homecare advice and disease prevention.
Kayo and I are striving to improve the dental knowledge of vets, which in turn will lead to better patient outcomes, as well as lead to improved oral health in our companion animals.
Tony Caiafa, Tutor
Key Concept 1:
Tools for success in dentistry
A practical understanding of oral anatomy, dental nomenclature, dental equipment and instrumentation including correct use, a guide to dental radiographic positioning
Key Concept 2: Periodontal disease
Diagnosis and management in dogs
After successful completion of this course, you will have a good understanding of the following two key concepts -
Key Concept 1
- Develop a good working knowledge of oral anatomy including the structures surrounding the teeth
- Understand the Triadan tooth numbering system and its application to the recording of findings
- Understand the stages of periodontal disease, as well as the limitations of whole mouth staging
- Learn the common abbreviations used for oral pathology and be able to record all findings on a dental chart
- Be confident in taking a full set of dental radiographs
Key Concept 2
- Develop sound knowledge of the aetiopathogenesis of periodontal disease
- Understand the steps involved in diagnosis and staging of periodontal disease
- Gain confidence in developing treatment plans for periodontal disease
- Develop the skills necessary for periodontal therapy
- Have sound knowledge of current homecare products, their potential benefits and limitations
- Be equipped to develop practice protocols and co-ordinate a team approach to managing periodontal disease
What is a TimeOnline OnDemand?
Flexible and accessible online CPD
TimeOnline OnDemand are short online continuing education programs that you can start and finish at a time that suits you.
Created by content matter experts, each OnDemand course gives you access to videos, presentations, notes, supplementary readings and an opportunity to test your knowledge. Succinct and engaging, these courses are designed to fit around your busy life and within your areas of interest.
Note: This course is self-paced and there is no active discussion forum. If you are looking for a short online course with a discussion forum please check out our TimeOnline courses.
Who should enrol?
This course is designed for qualified veterinarians. Veterinary students are welcome to enrol.
|Part Time / Recent Graduate Member
|eMember / Non-Member
*Members include: Practice, Professional and Academic members