Trauma Patient Management
Have you ever had a trauma patient arrive and all you can think of is ‘where do I start?’.
This course for emergency veterinarians as well as general practitioners is designed around how to deal with traumatic emergencies.
There are many layers of managing trauma patients: from the initial triage and stabilisation through to advanced surgery; monitoring critical patients; and dealing with associated complications. This will be an intensive course where you will develop a broad range of skills and knowledge that you can also apply to many of your other patients as well. We will promise it will be challenging but rewarding!
Veterinary nurses with a special interest in the topic are welcome to enrol in this course. Please be aware that the course is designed for qualified veterinarians and you should consider this in light of your knowledge and experience before you register.
“Fantastic course, has really helped my confidence for emergency work and very clearly explained with great references” Anonymous
By successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- Stabilise critical trauma patients and tackle complex cases with multiple injuries
- Perform safe anaesthesia in the trauma patient, and deal with trauma associated complications
- Manage complex injuries including orthopaedic, spinal and major soft tissue wounds
- Perform emergency surgery on trauma patients including penetrating thoracic and abdominal injuries and urinary tract injuries.
1. Triaging the trauma patient
- Being prepared as a trauma center
- Triaging the trauma patient
- Respiratory emergencies
- Cardiovascular emergencies
- Neurological emergencies
2. Trauma complications – before we go to surgery
- Fluids and transfusions in the trauma patient
- Coagulopathy of trauma
- Monitoring the trauma patient
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
3. Wounds and orthopaedic injuries
- Orthopaedic injury management
- Spinal trauma management
- Wound management
- Burn wounds
4. Trauma surgery
- Penetrating wounds
- Neck injuries
- Thoracic injuries
- Abdominal injuries
- Urinary injuries
Limited places remaining
|Recent Grad / Part-time Member||$303|
|Non-member / eMember||$607|