Bone Plating Workshop
Improve your skills in treating bone fractures.
Open reduction and internal fixation of fractures using bone plates and screws is a common and effective modality of treatment for fracture management in small animal practice. This workshop is designed to allow participants to use and appreciate the instruments employed to correctly and effectively apply bone plates and screws for simple fracture fixation in long bones.
Principles of bone plating and screw application will be revised over a series of lectures with case studies used to highlight these principles. This will be followed with a practical session where participants will practice surgical approaches to the femur, tibia, humerus, and radius on a cadaver. Simple fractures will be created and all participants will have the opportunity to apply a compression and a neutralisation plate.
'A thoroughly enjoyable and informative workshop which has given me a new skill set to refine in our practice. I look forward to more in the future.' - Tom Osmond, Townsville Vet Clinic
- Participants will appreciate and understand the recommended guidelines for application of screws and plates.
- Participants will recognise the instruments and equipment required for bone plating.
- Participants will have practised the steps in application of the functions of bone screw.
- Participants will have practised the steps in application of bone plate.
The CVE will provide a battery-powered drill, plate benders, gloves and implants for the exercises in the laboratory sessions.
Catering (lunch, morning tea) and workshop notes are also provided.
We require you to bring all of the instruments listed below so that you learn with the best tools for the job and will be ready to go as soon as you return to your practice.
1. Protective clothing
2. Surgical kit containing:
- Scalpel and scissors
- Adson tissue forceps
- Senn retractor
- Periosteal elevator
- Hohmann retractor
3. Plating kit which should contain:
- 2.0mm, 2.7mm, 2.5mm and 3.5mm drill bits
- 2.7mm and 3.5mm taps and tap handle
- 2.5mm hexagonal screw driver for 2.7/3.5mm cortex screws
- 2.7/3.5 depth gauge
- 2.7/3.5mm countersink
- Load/neutral drill guides for 2.7mm and 3.5mm plates
- Combination drill, tap and insert sleeve for 2.7mm AND 3.5mm cortex screws
- 1 x small curved serrated reduction forceps
- 1 x small pointed fragment forceps
4. Highly Recommended: A stainless steel lidded box to contain your instruments for steam sterilisation.
5. Radiographs from two cases for discussion of long bone fractures you have encountered or treated.
Note: Plating is a technically exact procedure and having the correct instruments is imperative.
Some suppliers will supply these instruments as a package.
This workshop is hands-on and very intensive. To help you prepare, we will send you the workshop notes in advance. To further assist with preparation for this workshop, we also recommend you purchase and watch Wing Tip’s DVDs:
A Practical Guide to Basic Bone Plating both available to workshop participants at a discounted price of $55.
You can purchase this DVD at the special rate over the phone on (02) 9351 7979.
You can also purchase the digital version of the DVD here.
|Member type||Early bird||Full rate|
|Non-member / eMember||N/A||$1718|