Hip & Stifle Workshop
Gain confidence to save it with a scalpel.
Hindlimb lameness is a very common problem presented to the general practitioner for treatment. The majority of these cases originate from the hip and stifle joints and many of these problems respond very favourably to surgical treatment.
This workshop is designed to provide a practical refresher on the common problems and treatment for the hip and stifle joints in the dog. This will be delivered as short updates illustrated with case studies followed with a hands-on laboratory session on cadavers.
The objective of the workshop is to provide the experienced practitioner with the confidence to begin extending surgical treatment options for clients, and the recent graduate with the technical skills to begin with the more common surgical procedures on the hip and stifle joints.
'I have attended this workshop on 2 occasions and will attend it again in the future. It is useful to hone skills and benchmark current practice in my clinic.'- Mark Kallman.
- Participants will appreciate and understand the common surgical techniques employed for the hip and stifle in general practice.
- Participants will have practised common surgical procedures in the hip joint.
- Participants will have practised common surgical procedures in the stifle joint.
The CVE will provide a cadaver (one per two participants), battery-powered drills, K-wires, cerclage wires, fabellotibial prosthesis, toggle pin, drill bits, fine hacksaw blades, sutures, scalpel blades and gloves.
Catering (lunch, morning tea) and workshop notes are also provided.
Please bring scrubs or suitable protective clothing and footwear for the workshop.
Please also bring the equipment listed below so that you get the most benefit from the day and have the right equipment for the procedures in the future.
Contact the CVE no less than two weeks prior to the event should you have any concerns about your ability to bring the listed items.
Failure to bring these instruments may impede your ability to participate in the practical sessions.
1. Protective clothing
2. Basic surgical kit which includes:
- #3 and #4 scalpel handle
- Toothed tissue forceps (Adson, Brown-Adson or Semkin)
- Mayo scissors
- Mayo-Hegar needle holder
- Several Halsted and Kelly haemostatic forceps
3. Special orthopaedic instruments which include:
- Jacob’s chuck and key
- Modular osteotome set with 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and 20mm changeable blades
- Senn retractor pair
- Periosteal elevator (AO style sharp square-ended 6mm wide)
- Hohmann retractor (mini 8mm short tip)
- Size 4 or 5 Spratt bone curettes
- Pair of deep hand‑held retractors (Army-Navy
- or Langenbeck with 13mm wide blade)
- Flat bone rasp
This workshop is hands-on and very intensive. To help you prepare, we will send you the workshop notes in advance. To further assist with preparation for this workshop, we also recommend you purchase and watch Wing Tip’s DVD:
Surgical Approaches to the Bones & Joints of the Dog available to workshop participants at a discounted price of $55.
You can purchase this DVD at the special rate over the phone on (02) 9351 7979.
You can also purchase the digital version of the DVD here.
|Member type||Early bird||Full rate|
|Non-member / eMember||N/A||$1718|