Maximise the output of your clients’ operations and learn how to better manage nutritional problems.
This course aims to help you develop the knowledge and tools necessary to achieve optimal nutritional outcomes in beef, dairy cattle and sheep enterprises. A three-day interactive workshop will see you visiting dairies, feedlots, and grazing enterprises to bring your learning to life.
The course emphasises an evidence-based approach to nutritional management and will focus on key topics including the development and physiology of the rumen, feed intake and its utilisation, management and prevention of nutritional deficiencies and metabolic disease as well as the achievement of optimal nutritional outcomes.
This course will be highly valuable to any veterinarian or allied professional working in a farming environment or looking to develop their nutritional consultancy as well as those who are intending to sit the exams for the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists (ANZCVS) in animal nutrition (ruminant).
If you're interested in having an evidence-based approach to production systems and
backing up your recommendations with simple but powerful financial analysis, then do the course. It's just so practical.
Helen Baillie, 2019
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- Gain an understanding of the basic principles of feeding ruminants for the production of meat, milk and fibre
- Gain knowledge of the merits of a range of feedstuffs and pasture
- Gain the ability to be able to diagnose and correct nutritional problems with various classes of cattle and sheep
- Gain the ability to be able to assess the standard of nutritional management of a given enterprise
- Gain the ability to be able to assess rations and have a basis for understanding ration formulation
- Rearing Preruminants & Managing the Transition to Ruminant
- Physiology of the Rumen, Ruminant Growth & Lactation
- Pasture, Crop Growth & Utilisation
- Feed Processing & Feedstuffs
- Diagnosis, Treatment, & Prevention of Metabolic Diseases
- Diagnosis, Treatment & Prevention of Chronic Nutritional Deficiencies
- Systems for Describing Ruminant Nutrient Requirements
- Nutritional Management of the Beef/Sheep Enterprise
- Nutritional Management of the Dairy Enterprise
- Nutritional Management of the Feedlot
This online course comes with:
- Comprehensive notes, images, journal articles and additional readings
- Self-reflection tasks to review your current knowledge and focus on the topic at hand
- Discussion forums for conversation, debate and sharing cases with your peers and tutors
- A monthly assignment to assess your understanding of each topic. Individual feedback and explanations will be provided by your tutor
- A 3-day practical workshop held out at Cowra
- Keeping DE notes in digital format saves almost 300 000 sheets of paper, 1 500 000L of water and 30 trees.
Workshop Dates & Structure
3-Day Workshop Cowra, NSW: TBA
What is Distance Education?
Premium, intensive online veterinary CPD
All CVE Distance Education (DE) programs are mentored by leading veterinary experts who will provide individual feedback and advice on completion of each monthly module. Each module may include written content, technique videos, self-reflections, quizzes and online submission of monthly assignments.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
Non-veterinarians with a science based degree and/or extensive industry experience are welcome to enrol in this course. However please be aware that the course is designed for qualified veterinarians and you should consider this in light of your knowledge and experience before you register.
|Member* Super Early Bird
|Member* Early Bird
|Member* Full Rate
|Ruminant Nutrition Distance Education
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount options for multiple registrations at the one event, please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email [email protected] or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).